Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"It's the end of the world as we know it..."

We here at Waiting for the Comet always enjoy a good apocalyptic/post apocalyptic story, television show or movie. While we've been too busy to start watching Heroes or Jericho, we do plan on watching these series at some point relatively soon in the future. Thus, I really have nothing to say about them at this point.

There have been some fine books written in this genre:

In no particular order (and certainly not an exhaustive list) we've enjoyed: Lucifer's Hammer; Alas, Babylon; On the Beach; The Stand; Blindness; The Great and Secret Show; The Postman; Childhood's End; The Alien Years; Mockingbird; The Harvest; and The Road to name just a few of them.

All enjoyable reads that I recommend.

As you probably know, some of the above were made into movies. So, once again in no particular order (and certainly not an exhaustive list) we here at Waiting for the Comet have enjoyed: The Planet of the Apes (1968); The Matrix; George Romeros' Living Dead series; The Terminator Series; 12 Monkeys; The Road Warrior; Mad Max; The Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956); Fantastic Planet; and When the Wind Blows.

Then there are some really fun ones such as: Death Race 2000; Red Dawn; Logan's Run; Heavy Metal; and Soylent Green.

However, we're not here today to just reminisce about the past. No, the reason for this posting is because there seems to be a new wave of movies in this genre. Check out the trailers to I am Legend; An untitled film by J.J. Abrams; The Invasion; and Sunshine.

Another upcoming film is called Doomsday, but there is no trailer as of today.

Now, with the exception of The Invasion, I am excited to see these new films. The Invasion is another "remake" of The Invasion of the Body Snatchers (which has been remade how many times now?) so it's not high on my list.

Which brings me to the topic of my next post: remakes and sequels. I hope to rant on that soon. For now, please post any books, movies, and/or television shows that you enjoyed that fit this genre!

Then, enjoy the end of the world!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post! Thanks for the list of books and movies

Unknown said...

So I finally rented Death Race 2000... brilliant!!!

Randy Anderson said...

What!? You are just NOW getting around to watching Death Race 2000. I have to say, I am a bit surprised. ;-)

I'm glad you liked it. I figured the social commentary and satire would be right up your alley.

If you haven't see Fantastic Planet yet, I recommend that one. It's 1970's animation (ok, maybe a little 1960's animation thrown in, if you know what I'm saying?) It may be hard to find, though. The last time I got it was through Netflix, but they don't rent it anymore.

I watched Pans Labyrinth last week. That was a terrific film.

I also watched Children of Men which fits into this "End of the World" post. It wasn't too bad. I liked the background part of the film a little more than the foreground part, and despite a couple of plot holes, it was overall worth checking out. It was based on a novel, so the book may be much better. I plan to check it out at a later date.

On of my favorite lines from Death Race 2000:

"What's that?"

"It's a hand grenade."

Brilliant!